Started off gaming today asking people what sort of games they might be interested in playing. You see, our main gamemaster of 15(!) years is very likely moving out of the country next year, and so our little RPG group is going to be in for a bit of chaos. Hence, the need for new games.
I haven't gamemastered in 5 or 6 years, because I've felt too busy, but in thinking it over lately I decided that I'd be up for it. I came up with three options: Ars Magica, which has long been one of my favorites, has supported four campaigns in my group and is soon receiving a fifth edition, HeroQuest, which I'm regularly working with right now due to the Elf Book, and Stormbringer, which has been one of my favorite fantasy systems for the last twenty years, though I'm more fond of older editions than the current and so am going to need to think about it a bit. So, today, I gave everyone the options and asked for them to tell me which they'd be most interested in playing. We eventually voted and Stormbringer came out the winner by a fair margin, so there we go. I've said I'd be willing to run it biweekly, starting in April, and sometimes maybe a little less. I'd like to take the time between now and then to really plot out a good backstory and overplot.
Dave P. has also stepped up and said he'd be up for running a biweekly Pirates game around the same time. I lent him a pile of RoleMaster books, including a pirates book, a year or two ago, so I've been waiting for that. Rolemaster is a good system that supports some of things I like about roleplaying (including complex mechanics!).
So that looks to be the plan for April, if we really do lose our gamemaster to New Zealand. Good to know things won't collapse.
Gaming was Erzo, and it was fine. I got a seed that I'd carted around the whole continent back as a semi-intelligent shrubling, which was amusing and kept me entertained the whole time. I worked on teaching him how to set fires & jump into protective pots.
We also played a couple of my new card games before everyone arrived.
Gargon, a weird trick-taking game, was largely a failure, though part of that was that it really works poorly for three players. (It claims 3-5)
Category 5 (a variant of 6 Nimmt!) worked much better, though we didn't get to finish our game. I'm looking forward to trying a full game of it, and was pleased to see it worked fine with 4 people. (It's listed as 2-10, though I remain suspicious of 2 and 3 and maybe 7-10.)
We were really nice and didn't even make Kevin play our card games like we usually do.
Next week most of the gaming group is down in SoCal for "DaveCon". It was someone's (probably Kevin's) kind answer to the fact that Dave S. now lives in Southern California and so never gets to see any of us. The irony is that his whole house will be in boxes while they're there because he sold that house and is moving to (wait for it) the Bay Area. Well before learning about the impending move I opted out of DaveCon in any case, however, because I'm not a fan of wasting 19 or 20 hours on the road to watch bad SF movies that I'm not very interested in anyway and to shoot things out in his back yard. Surprisingly, all of the rest of the gamers are going, except Dave P., and only because he has a newborn around.
So next Saturday I'm going to try and get enough people together to play a longer wargame at my place. A Game of Thrones is my current hope, though I'll need someone to bring it because (gasp!) it's not a game I own! I'll see if I can get 5 or 6 people off for a one-off ...
I haven't gamemastered in 5 or 6 years, because I've felt too busy, but in thinking it over lately I decided that I'd be up for it. I came up with three options: Ars Magica, which has long been one of my favorites, has supported four campaigns in my group and is soon receiving a fifth edition, HeroQuest, which I'm regularly working with right now due to the Elf Book, and Stormbringer, which has been one of my favorite fantasy systems for the last twenty years, though I'm more fond of older editions than the current and so am going to need to think about it a bit. So, today, I gave everyone the options and asked for them to tell me which they'd be most interested in playing. We eventually voted and Stormbringer came out the winner by a fair margin, so there we go. I've said I'd be willing to run it biweekly, starting in April, and sometimes maybe a little less. I'd like to take the time between now and then to really plot out a good backstory and overplot.
Dave P. has also stepped up and said he'd be up for running a biweekly Pirates game around the same time. I lent him a pile of RoleMaster books, including a pirates book, a year or two ago, so I've been waiting for that. Rolemaster is a good system that supports some of things I like about roleplaying (including complex mechanics!).
So that looks to be the plan for April, if we really do lose our gamemaster to New Zealand. Good to know things won't collapse.
Gaming was Erzo, and it was fine. I got a seed that I'd carted around the whole continent back as a semi-intelligent shrubling, which was amusing and kept me entertained the whole time. I worked on teaching him how to set fires & jump into protective pots.
We also played a couple of my new card games before everyone arrived.
Gargon, a weird trick-taking game, was largely a failure, though part of that was that it really works poorly for three players. (It claims 3-5)
Category 5 (a variant of 6 Nimmt!) worked much better, though we didn't get to finish our game. I'm looking forward to trying a full game of it, and was pleased to see it worked fine with 4 people. (It's listed as 2-10, though I remain suspicious of 2 and 3 and maybe 7-10.)
We were really nice and didn't even make Kevin play our card games like we usually do.
Next week most of the gaming group is down in SoCal for "DaveCon". It was someone's (probably Kevin's) kind answer to the fact that Dave S. now lives in Southern California and so never gets to see any of us. The irony is that his whole house will be in boxes while they're there because he sold that house and is moving to (wait for it) the Bay Area. Well before learning about the impending move I opted out of DaveCon in any case, however, because I'm not a fan of wasting 19 or 20 hours on the road to watch bad SF movies that I'm not very interested in anyway and to shoot things out in his back yard. Surprisingly, all of the rest of the gamers are going, except Dave P., and only because he has a newborn around.
So next Saturday I'm going to try and get enough people together to play a longer wargame at my place. A Game of Thrones is my current hope, though I'll need someone to bring it because (gasp!) it's not a game I own! I'll see if I can get 5 or 6 people off for a one-off ...